Friday, July 06, 2007

What I've been Up To

I have another blog, a knitting blog. But I haven't been very diligent in updating it. I have in fact been knitting - I just haven't been very good at updating the blog. But I am trying. And in my effort to be more timely in my posts, I have decided to only have one blog. While I love the idea of having a separate blog dedicated to knitting, it's just not working out. So from now on I will post my knitting progress (or lack thereof) and pictures on this here blog. And without further ado...
I finished Lilli's sweater! It's a Raglan-in-the-round sweater.
I purchased the pattern off Little Turtle Knits I really like the pattern. Very straightforward, very easy to read. And I especially like that it has every size you could possibly need. However, I am not happy with my choice of yarn. I ordered it off the internet (the yarn) and it is the first time I'd ever ordered yarn online. I wasn't really sure what I was getting. I like the colors. But I'm not too thrilled with the texture of the yarn. I guess it's okay knit up, but actually knitting with it was a pain. It is thick in some places and really, really thin in others. Now, if this were some handspun stuff I wouldn't care, but it isn't. It's Knit Picks Get Away (35% Tactel, 35% Nylon, 18% Cotton, 12% Acrylic). I was expecting a little more consistency. I have not yet tried this sweater on Lilli. Truth be told I'm a little afraid to. I will be very sad if it doesn't fit. But I need to just suck it up and try it on her. Because I want to make this sweater again. And again and again. I want to make one for Tipton, and I'd like to make one for myself, too. With different yarn, of course. I should go back and re-read what yarn the pattern calls for. That is where I seem to get into trouble - substituting different yarns. (That is how my other, knitting, blog began...) I also might try playing around with the sleeves. They seem kind of long and skinny. But that could just be a gauge issue. Or I could just blame it on the yarn...

After I finished the sweater I needed a quick project. Something that would give me instant results. Enter the wash cloth(s). First I made one with a simple seed stitch. It has already been used several times, so please forgive the fading.
Next I made up a pattern as I went along. But I don't have a picture of that one. Lilli claimed it as soon as I'd woven in the ends. It's in the bathtub right now.
Then I wanted to make another ball band wash cloth (from Mason Dixon Knitting.) I had a little yarn leftover so I decided to make a second one, with reversed colors. But I didn't quite have enough to complete it, so I finished it with different colors. I am in the process of making yet another ball band wash cloth with the colors I started at the end.
The first two pictures are the same washcloth - I couldn't get decent lighting (it's been raining for the past three days)
And then yesterday morning I was reading some knitting blogs and came across this. So of course I went here and got the pattern. I was going to finish the third ball band wash cloth before I started on Grrr. But I just couldn't wait! It was just too cute a pattern. I knit the whole thing in one day! It knits up fairly quick, I guess. But I'm kind of slow with the loop stitch, and kept loosing count of how many rows I'd done. (The perils of knitting while the children are awake...) I can't wait to make another one!! I also really like that the pattern includes a loop to hang it up.
And it wouldn't be a Ramblings post if there weren't some cute Lilli pictures. This morning she has been rocking her babies. In the second picture she's having her baby say "Cheese!" Too cute.

No comments: