Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Big Kids

On Friday Tipton's friend, Samantha, came over to play. And of course Lilli followed them around the entire time. She wants to be just like the Big Kids. And they are getting big - both Tipton and Lilli.

A friend of mine recently admitted that she is having a rough time "letting go" of her daughter, who is just about to start Kindergarten. I'm not worried about Tipton going to Kindergarten. I know he will be fine. And yes, I will miss him but I will enjoy him that much more when I pick him up from school. However, I am having a rough time with other aspects of my children's 'growing up.'

I've said this before, but every now and then I look at Tipton and I wonder 'What happened to my little boy? Where did he go? And who is this Big Kid sitting at my table?' Last night at dinner he rolled his eyes at me and Dave. A glimpse of the teenager to come.

I am having a harder time with Lilli's growing independence. Maybe because she's a girl. Maybe because she's my "baby" (and we won't be having any more.) I am thrilled that she is now (mostly) toilet trained. And she is so proud of her "panties." But I my heart aches when I look at her and see how big she's getting. How independent she is becoming. How she is needing me less and less.

Oh, geeze! I'm making myself cry! On to happier things...

On Saturday Dave took the training wheels off of Tipton's bike. He attached a special handle to the back of the bike (just below the seat) so that he could run along behind Tipton to help keep him balanced. It's a really cool thing/idea. And I can't believe they are not (more) popular in the US. (In fact, I don't believe I've ever seen these handles in the US.) Anyway, they went up and down the street a few times and then it started raining.

So on Sunday we decided to ride our bikes to the beach. It's about about a 20 bike ride with the kids (much quicker without them.) Dave said he would run along behind Tipton. I don't think Dave realized how out of shape he has become. We took turns running behind Tipton (and riding the bike pulling the bike trailer.) And still we only made it about halfway to the beach. We blame it on Tipton's constant whining and not our lack of physical fitness, however. Tipton was doing pretty good - we would let go of the handle and let him go on his own (hovering over the handle, of course.) But Tipton just kept saying that he couldn't do it. He didn't want to do it. He was tired. He just wanted to go home. Etc. So we decided to turn around and go back to the playground. Everyone was in a MUCH better mood after that. Tipton even did better riding his bike.

Tipton loves the giant tube slide


Happy Kid. Wearing the new shirt that Grandma Suzie sent him.
Daddy climbed the big tower with Lilli. She sure does love her Daddy! (And he's pretty taken with her, too.)
Lilli riding the "horse."
Daddy taking a well earned break. I love this picture, but his sleeve was messed up,
so I made him fix it and I took another picture.


Lilli has been staying dry through the night. She still goes to bed in a diaper (for now). But she will get up in the night and come and tell me that she has to go potty. So we take off her diaper and put her on the potty. She pees. Then we put her diaper back on and she goes back to sleep. She won't be in diapers for much longer. So Lilli has been thinking up new uses for her diapers.

No comments: