Monday, July 30, 2007

Chaos, Sloth and Atonemtent

This past Tuesday we met one of Tipton's friends, Samantha, at this place called Andy's. It is a giant indoor play area. They have an area to play hockey and soccer, a giant inflatable bounce-house, three trampolines, an area to ride little scooters/bikes, a small kids play area (for ages 4 and under) and a giant hamster-type maze and slides. The kids LOVE it. It is nice to have an indoor play area over here. You pay an admittance fee and are allowed to play for three hours. After an hour and a half both Adriana (Samantha's mom) and I and the kiddos were ready to leave. Too much fun and excitement - we were all exhausted.

Lilli started out in the small kids play area. That lasted for about 10 minutes, then she wanted to find Tipton and Samantha. I managed to distract her with the bounce-house and trampolines for almost an hour. But I just couldn't keep her away from the giant maze/climbing area. I finally gave in. She had a blast climbing all around, and only got stuck/scared a couple of times. There were lots of other adults climbing around in there, too, which made me feel a little better. Towards the end, I had managed to find my way back out, but Lilli was still wandering around in there. So we sent Tipton and Samantha back in to help her find a way out. We celebrated surviving the maze with lunch at McDonalds. (They have a snack bar there, at Andy's. But Adriana and I knew that there was no way we'd be able to get the kids to stay at the table and eat lunch.)

When we got home later that afternoon, the new Harry Potter book was waiting for me in the mail. So of course I started reading it immediately. The kids wanted to play outside. So I played hockey with Tipton, while reading my book. Fortunately, I already had dinner going in the crock pot, so I didn't have to cook - I could read my book. The next day the kids watched Blue's Clues all day while I read my book. I was very lazy. I read all day. My eyes started to cross, but still I read. Chapter after chapter, episode after episode of Blue's Clues. I finished the book around 10:00 that evening. It was great. I haven't read a book like that since I was in the 7th grade! (When I read Stephen King's The Tommyknockers in one day.)

The next day was Friday. And I felt that I needed to atone for my day of sloth . Also, we had friends coming over for dinner and the house was a disaster. So I went on a cleaning binge. In fact, I not only cleaned - I organized.

I started with Tipton's room. I picked up everything off of the floor and put it into bins. I labeled the bins so that he would know what was where. I organized the cabinet with all of his games and puzzles and toys and bins. I cleaned off (and dusted!) his dresser. I cleaned off his bookshelf. I organized all of the books on his bookshelf. I vacuumed his room. And when it was done, I called him into his room and had him look at everything. I showed him his cabinet and explained that everything had a place, and that when he was done playing with something (a game, a toy) he needed to put it back where he got it from. That if he left his things all over the floor again, I would take them away. They wouldn't go into "time out", no, they would go into the trash and he would never see them again.

Then I did the same thing with Lilli. Only, her room is much easier to organize. One bookshelf and one big plastic bin full of toys. Snip, snap -we're done!

I cleaned both bathrooms, even cleared off the bathroom counters so that it's not so cluttered (and will be much easier to clean the next time.) I did six or seven loads of laundry. I de-cluttered the laundry hall. I washed every single dish in the house (or maybe that's just how it felt.) I made spanish rice and put it in a casserole dish so that I would just have to warm it up later for dinner. I made rice krispie treats to have for dessert. I put the beans and brisket in the crock pot to cook. I organized cabinets in the kitchen. I cleaned out and organized the refrigerator. I vacuumed the entire house. I was just starting to make the flour tortillas when our friends arrived for dinner.

Dave got home a few minutes after Adriana, Claus and Samantha arrived. I left Dave to visit with Claus and look after the kiddos while Adriana and I hung out in the kitchen and made the tortillas. Dinner was wonderful and it was really nice to have our friends over. The kids were wild and crazy, as they usually are. Everyone had a great time. We really need to do it more often.

I am making a promise to myself. I would like to have friends over for dinner at least once a month. And I want/need to clean my house at least once a week! I mean, really.

No comments: