Thursday, July 05, 2007

Glad Fjärde av Juli

"Happy Fourth of July" from Malmo, Sweden
No big 4th of July fireworks celebrations here in Malmo, Sweden - it's just not a big holiday over here. Go figure. But the kids and I managed to do a few fun things to celebrate. (Dave had to work.)
Lilli started the day by reading to one of her 'babies'.

I warmed up an apple/cinnamin roll-type bread that I'd bought as a special treat for breakfast. Lilli really liked it. Tipton did not. I had printed off a few patriotic coloring pages and connect the dots for the kids to do. Lilli liked coloring in the "twinkle stars."
The kids played Triominoes. Not sure what was going on with Lilli. I think maybe Tipton was winning.
For lunch we did the American thing and got fast food from the Burger King drive thru. Then came home and had a 'picnic' lunch while watching a video. It was kind of cool outside - too cool to have an actual outside picnic.
Tipton had a Hot Wheels Acceleracers movie marathon, watching all FOUR dvds. Including the micro episodes. But he's been sick this week, so I let him.
After Lilli's nap we did a few more art projects. I thinned out some blue and red paint with water. Then dropped "puddles" of it onto white paper. Then we used straws to blow the paint around the paper. It was supposed to look like fireworks. And mine did, sort of. Tipton just wanted to play with his straw and use the paintbrush to paint the entire paper blue.

Lilli just wanted to paint her hands and use her hands to paint on the paper. A few minutes into this I realized I should take off her shirt. Good thing, too.
Afterwards Lilli cuddled on the couch with her babies while I cleaned up from the painting.
For our final craft, we made special patriotic crowns. I had meant to make bbq for dinner, but forgot to pick up the necessary meat at the store. So instead we had hotdogs, fries and meatballs (we ARE in Sweden after all.)
Happy Fourth of July!


Oh, and we Tivo'd the fireworks from DC, we'll watch those tonight - don't you just LOVE the internet?

No comments: