Saturday, January 27, 2007

The Not So Swimming Lessons

Tipton's swimming lessons started today. They did not go well. And I don't think I helped. I was really hoping that this could be something that Dave and Tipton could do together. I want them to have some guy time and thought this would be something special for just the two of them. Something for them to do together other than play video games - something to do together away from the house.

Since it was the first day, we all went down there together. We got pulled over right in front of the Aq Va Kul (place where the swim lessons were) for a traffic stop. They checked Dave's drivers liscence and swedish ID and had him take a breathalizer test. At 8:00 in the morning! Too strange.

We all went in and got Tipton changed into his suit and found where we were supposed to be. There were about 10 other kids in the class, and four instructors. The class started with a warm up and they played a few games - all outside the pool. Tipton didn't want to join in. He hid behind me. The instructors kept coming over and tried to get him to join the other kids but he wouldn't do it. I tried to get him to do the warm up exercises by me and he wouldn't do that either. So I decided we would just leave. Then Tipton changed his mind and decided he wanted to participate. He stood in the line and walked into the shower rooms. They were supposed to rinse off in the shower before getting into the pool. Tipton does not like to get his head wet, so that didn't go over very well. Then they had to sit on the side of the pool. That was about the only thing that went well. Tipton sat on the side of the pool. He wouldn't splash. He wouldn't get in.

So we left.

I was angry. I understood why Tipton didn't want to participate - the class was being taught in Swedish and it's kind of daunting when you don't understand anything (Lilli's gym class is taught in Swedish and I always feel a little lost.) And I sympathize with him. But I was angry. Angry that my plan of Tipton and Daddy having special time together was not going to happen. Angry that we had gotten up early and wasted the morning. Angry that Dave didn't really do anything to try to get Tipton to participate. It was supposed to be THEIR special time, and yet Dave didn't want to have to deal with Tipton - he would rather just follow Lilli around to make sure she didn't try to get into the pool. Angry.

When we got home Lilli wanted to play in the snow (did I mention that it snowed again last night - about an inch.) Tipton decided to play in the snow, too. Dave went inside and I stayed out with the kids. It's hard to stay angry when you're playing in the snow.

I need to work to be more patient with the kids, especially Tipton. I need to focus on what they are feeling and not what I am feeling.

When we left the pool, I told the woman at the desk that Tipton would not be taking the class. She asked why and I told her that he couldn't understand what the instructors were saying. That even though they would speak to him in english, the class was being taught in Swedish it was too much for him. She asked if we would take a class if it were taught in english and I said yes, definitely. I think Tipton would be okay if the class were taught in english.

No comments: