Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Then I'll Huff and I'll Puff...

My children have been obsessed with the story of the Three Little Pigs. I read it at least twice a day. And we act it out at least once a day. And of course we sing the song all day long. Lilli has started wandering around the house saying "Three little pigs.... Huff Puff blow your house in!"

The other day as I sit knitting a scarf Tipton asked me "Mommy, can you knit me the three little pigs?" Uhhhhhhh. Sure? So I immediately started searching the internet for three little pigs knitting patterns. There are many, many patterns for pigs. Not so many for wolves.

I decided that the best idea would be to make finger puppets. That way they could play with them. Plus, I've been wanting to try my hand at finger puppets. I found a simple pattern for pig and wolf finger puppets. And I cast on...



First I tried using a bright pink Red Heart acryllic yarn (left over from when I made a friend a really silly wig.) I finished kitting one half of the pig (the pattern said to knit the front, then the back, then sew them together.) It was enormous! Thinking back, they probably could have used it as a hand puppet. I decided to try a different yarn. A skinnier yarn. This one is cotton, almost like string. I'd tell you exactly what it was, but I can't get up because Lilli won't get out of my lap. I'm happy with the size, but not too thrilled with the yarn. Still, it resembles a pig, and it's kind of cute. One pig down, two more to go...

On to the wolf.



Doesn't really look like a wolf, but it's brown and fuzzy. I bought brown mohair just to make this wolf. He's so soft. I thought the red tongue was a nice touch. I showed Tipton who said "He doesn't look scary enough." So I got out my white sewing thread and stitched on some teeth. Now he's scarier. If anyone out there has a better wolf finger puppet pattern, I'd love to see it!

Pig #2. I am currently at work on the second little pig. I bought some yarn for it yesterday... It's white, light pink and bright pink strands twisted together (acryllic.) It's softer than the first little pig. The second little pig reminds me of a candy cane. Very cute. I should finish it up by this evening. I'll try to post pictures before I go to bed.

1 comment:

Milli said...

love the wolf