Thursday, July 24, 2008

We're Coming to America - TODAY!

The bags are all packed. The children were kept up very, very late and have woken up at their usual (early) time. (We are hoping that they will nap on the plane and get over their jet lag a little bit faster.)

The kids both got new backpacks for this trip. Lilli is SO excited to get to wear her new pink backpack. I hope she still feels that way once we're actually at the airport... I've packed several new 'diversions' in their backpacks. Tipton gets a handheld electronic spiderman game, and also a little electronic block game. The instructions for the block game were in every language EXCEPT for English. So part of the fun will be him figuring out what he is supposed to do. Lilli gets two new little mermaid dolls. Also, I found her pink purse with all of her favorite playmobil in the 'secret compartment' of the wagon the other day, so she'll have those to play with, too. And they both have a set of those 'magic' stickers - kind of like the Playforms I had as a kid. You can move the stickers around to make different scenes. Tipton has Peter Pan and Lilli has Disney Princesses. In addition, the kids will also be carrying their own snacks. They picked out some special cookies and crackers. I've packed them each a little package of fruit snacks and a little package of yogos and a little box of smartees. And a thing of Pez. I will be carrying their apples, grapes, bananas and hot dogs. (Yes, hot dogs. Because I'm almost 100% certain that they will not eat the airplane food.)

As a special treat, Daddy is giving up his fancy, schmancy touch i-Pod for the week. He has loaded it with Blues Clues and Sesame Street. The last time we flew home the 'kid' movies were Transformers (where they talk about masturbation in one scene - NOT something my then-5 year old really needed to know about.) And the other 'kid' movie was The Simpsons (in which Marge Simpson taught my the- 2 year old a swear word.) So we're bringing our own child-friendly entertainment, just in case...

As for my in-flight 'diversions'... I think I've packed a paperback book beneath all the snacks. Not that I imagine I'll even take it out. I will be too busy referring arguments, helping to open snacks, making the electronics (games/i-Pod) work properly, picking up small toys from the floor, and making multiple trips to the bathroom. Fun times.

But the kids have been really good on all of our flights so far (KNOCK WOOD) so I'm hoping that this will also be a relatively smooth flight. Especially since I will be doing it solo.

Dave will stay in Sweden and work for one more week, then fly out to join us on the 31st. It will be very strange for Dave. This will be the first time that HE has stayed home while WE have gone off on a trip somewhere. The house is going to be awfully quiet. He has big weekend plans. He's going to sleep in BOTH days. (Oh, how I envy him!)

Just two more hours until we need to leave for the train station. And I've already gotten everythign packed (except the toothpaste.) So it looks like we'll have time to relax and play with the kids for a bit before we leave. A good omen for a nice relaxing trip!

No comments: