Monday, July 28, 2008

Day 2 of our Vacation

Lilli woke up at 3:30am. She leaned her little elbows on me and said "I need breakfast." Just as well since I wasn't really able to sleep. I just kept seeing Tipton falling and breaking his arm over and over again in my head.

We came downstairs and had Ego blueberry waffles for breakfast. Then I read her a couple of stories out of the Disney Princess Story Book that Grama Kay had bought for her the day before. We were just heading back upstairs to try to go back to sleep when Tipton woke up. So we came back downstairs. I gave Tipton some waffles and started him on his tylenol/motrin rotation, to 'stay ahead of the pain.'

We went out to a Mexican restaurant for lunch. Tipton ate a cheese enchilada and a corn tortilla dipped in melted butter. Lilli ate a basket of chips and chocolate milk. I had ordered her a cheese quesadilla and when it was placed in front of her she yelled until we removed it (and replaced it with the basket of chips.) I decided that one meal of chips would not scar her for life, and trying to make her eat something else was just going to make everyone else miserable. She was happy with her chips and we all had a very pleasant lunch.

After lunch we went to Target. Our initial goal was to find a new sling for Tipton. The one they gave him at the hospital was too small. The edge/end fell right across the break in his arm, and his arm kept sliding out. Target did not sell slings (neither does the grocery store, Giant, we checked on our way to lunch.) Since we were there we did a little shopping. My main concern was to buy some new puzzles and games - since our outdoor activities were going to be limited due to Tipton's broken arm. They didn't have the games I was looking for (Monopoly, Jr, Scrable, Jr and Apples to Apples Kids) but they had Zingo and What's Gnu? - both games that I have been thinking about getting for a while. And Tipton wanted to get Hungry Hungry Hippos. When I was a kid I always wanted the game Hungry Hungry Hippos, but we never had the money to buy it. So of course I got it for him. It's really a cute game, and it's one that Lilli can play, too. I also got them each a puzzle. And Lilli got some new playmobil mermaids and Tipton got a new (small) star wars lego. And some bubbles to play with at Grama and Papa's house. Then we headed over to the books. I got Lilli two new Fancy Nancy books and two new Transformers comic books for Tipton. Oh, and I got Lilli a Fancy Nancy dress-up dress. It is one of the dresses Fancy Nancy wears in the Posh Puppy book - Lilli's favorite book. I had planned on buying her one new dress-up outfit while we were here, and when we saw it I knew that would be it.

On the way home from Target we stopped at CVS pharmacy to see if they had any slings. They didn't, but they had a 'shower sleeve' that would fit over Tipton's cast so that we could give him a bath. I had gotten about half a mile down the road when Tipton's nose started bleeding. It was so bad that I had to pull over and get out of the car in order to tend to him. I got a tissue in his nose and showed him where to apply pressure, then got back in the car and started once more towards home. It took about 10 minutes to get home. Tipton's nose was still bleeding. In fact, the tissue was completely soaked with blood. We replaced it with another one and about five minutes later his nose stopped bleeding. Now, I cannot say that I am surprised he had a nose bleed. He was due for one... It had been almost a week since his last nosebleed, he had recently been on a plane (with very dry air) for almost 9 hours, and he'd had a severe trauma. So I was kind of expecting it. However, I was not prepared for it to be so severe. But he's fine now. Just a little more blood than we were used to.

Cousin Donna was waiting for us when we got home. She helped Tipton to assemble his new Star Wars legos. Then she played mermaids with Lilli. Then the four of us sat down and played Hungry Hungry Hippo. Lilli changed into her new Fancy Nancy dress and wandered off to play. Donna taught Tipton how to play Rummy Cube. The kids played bubbles outside.

We had steaks, asparagus and beer corn for dinner. The kids had chicken nuggets.

Donna helped me to get the kids in bed, then we sat downstairs and talked for a while. Aside from the shocking nose bleed and the frustration of not finding a new sling for Tipton, it was a good day.

No comments: