Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Tonsilitis, Schmonsilitis

Tipton has had a cold recently. I just assumed it was a cold. He'd wake up congested and complaining of a sore throat. After about an hour he'd be fine. No fever or anything. Then on Wednesday I got a call from his school. He was having acute ear pain and I needed to come and get him. Poor, pitiful little guy. He was in a lot of pain.

When we got home I took him inside and took his temp. It was normal, or thereabouts. I gave him some motrin and had him lie down in his room. He asked if he could have a cookie. I told him that I would get him a cookie as soon as I got Lilli in from the car. I went out and got Lilli and put her into her crib for a nap, then went back to Tipton's room. He was sound asleep. He slept for three hours. When he woke up, he was absolutely fine. Throat didn't hurt, ear didn't hurt. He did NOT want to go to the doctor.

But I had struggled through the medical system and finally broke down and begged for help from Eva (our contact at Human Entrance. Eva is absolutely WONDERFUL and I'm not sure what I would do without her.) Eva was able to get us an appointment with a doctor that afternoon. So we all piled into the car and set out in search of the doctor's office.

We found it with relatively little trouble, and even found a place to park. We rushed in right on time and were seen pretty much immediately. The doctor looked in Tipton's mouth and said that his throat was very red and that he had white dots on his tonsils. He had tonsilitis. Then he looked into Tipton's ears. One was fine, but the other was not. The doctor said that his eardrum was "billowed, like a sail." So he had tonislitis and a secondary ear infection. The doctor prescribed an antibiotic and something to help with the inflamation.

We walked down the street to the pharmacy, but the pharmacist did not have the antibiotic. And also, the pharmacist said that the medication the doctor had prescribed for the inflamation was no longer sold in Sweden. Niiiiiiiiice. She called the doctor and he prescribed another medication. And then the pharmacist (a very nice lady) gave me the address of a pharmacy that would have both prescriptions. We walked back to the car and found a parking ticket on the windshield (my day just kept getting better.)

So we drove over to the other pharmacy and found a parking space and went inside. It was very busy, so we took a number and waited. They called your number and you went up to the counter and got your prescription. Only, they skipped my number. And much screaming (Lilli, not me) and confusion (all me) I got my turn at the counter. I swiped my credit card to pay for the medications and the pharmacist said "Um, there is something wrong. It is telling me to call the bank." (Oh sweet mother!) I ran my card through again and it went through just fine.

We got the medications. We went home. I decided that I needed caffiene, so I opened my emergency Dr Pepper that I keep in the back of the fridge (not realizing that it was partially frozen.) It exploded all over me and all over the kitchen. If Aunt Jenni had not been with me through all of this, I probably would have just sat down in the puddle of soda and cried. I was emotionally spent. But thankfully Aunt Jenni was there. And we just started laughing.

I kept Tipton home from school the next day, and he was bouncing off the walls. He was absolutely fine. Throat didn't hurt, ear didn't hurt. He didn't even have the sniffles.

No comments: